Divorce is an emotionally charged time.  Many people have been through it and often offer well intended, but poor advice.  It is a time when you need straightforward answers. You need to know your rights and have someone there with you to help protect them.


California law generally provides for three ways to end a marriage:

If the marriage is invalid from the start, annulment may be used to end the marriage.  Annulment is used when one of the spouses is already married to another person, one of the spouses is too young to marry, one of the spouses was forced to marry, and similar situations.

Dissolution (Divorce)
The most common way to end a marriage is by Dissolution.  Dissolution can be by court trial or by summary order of the court without hearing.  To see if you qualify for a Summary Dissolution without the need to go to trial, <<click here>>.

Legal Separation
With a Legal Separation, you will still be married, but will not acquire community property or debts.  Legal Separation is used in rare situations where the couple does not want to live together, but wants to remain technically married. 


Spousal Support 
Spousal support is part of many divorces. Generally, the spouse who is the breadwinner is required to make payments to the other spouse. However, there is no preset amount.  We can help negotiate the terms of support obligations. The amount of support negotiated  may affect you for years after the divorce proceedings - it is essential to have someone on your side who understands the law and can help you with these negotiations.

Child Support 
Divorce is especially difficult for the children. A fair support settlement should adequately provide for the children without being an undue burden on either party.  We'll fight for fair support.

Custody and Visitation
Fair custody and visitation is also very important for the children.  Sometimes, in a nasty divorce, one spouse will try to get full custody and allow little or no visitation.  Its not fair to the other spouse or to the children. We'll help make sure you are able to see your children.

Property and Assets
The court has the power to award exclusive use of the family home to either spouse and to order either spouse to make payments on the house.  The court can also order exclusive use of vehicles and other property.  It is important to have an attorney who will fight to protect your assets from unfair seizure.  Sometimes one spouse won't play fair and will hide assets or use restraining orders to try to force an unfair settlement.  We can help.  We can help uncover hidden assets and help you get a fair settlement. 

Copyright © 2002, Law Offices of George A. Boyle